Kevin and Amber: Europe 2006

We are two high school English teacher who have recently become engaged. This is our first trip to Europe and we are both very excited. Kevin is most looking forward to the British Library (and the US World Cup game) and will miss Qdoba the most while he is gone. Amber is looking forward to the Globe Theatre and will miss ice in her drinks.

Monday, June 19, 2006

The Museum, the parks, and Jack the Ripper

Kevin here. Yesterday was the first day Amber and I actually felt worn out. We hit the British Museum early, it is within walking distance so it wasn't that big of a journey. A couple of hours in there was fun, we saw the Rosetta Stone, marbles from the Parthenon, and even Cleopatra's mummy. No sign of her daddy. Sorry, bad joke.

We also saw this group of Tibetan monks, who we had also seen in Stratford. Is it possible they are following us? Who knows, stay tuned!

Next was Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Hyde Park is the largest park in London, sort of their version of Central Park, and Kensington is pretty much connected to it. It was a nice stroll, seeing Speaker's Corner, where people were screaming about different subjects, too loud for Amber or I to actually make it out. And this is where the "worn out wave" began to strike.

Kensington Gardens has the Peter Pan statue and a fountai memorial to Princess Di. The memorial was a little difficult to find, and I was quite ready to just call it a day. In the grand scheme of historical figures you encounter in London, for me anyway, Di is pretty far down the list. But find it we did, and I cooled my feet in the flowing water. Very strange fountain and memorial, it felt a lot more like a picnic spot.

We also saw the alrgest freakin' statue here, in honor of King Albert. It is across from Royal ALbert Hall. Super big. But I guess he and Queen Victoria did do a lot for the arts and the city. But still.....

A quick walk around the palace and it was off to Piccadilly Circus, London's version of TImes Square, excpet not as much. We ate at Wagamamma's, which was highly recommended by more than a few people, and it was extremely tasty. We had a Jack the Ripper walk that night, and decided that we were walked out at that point. We headed back to the hotel, and took a nap.

THe Jack the RIpper walk was pretty cool, I'll let Amber talk more about it. It is about time for breakfast, and I have some laundry to do, or else I will have to start wearing my underwear inside out!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you saw the freakshow known as Speaker's Corner and filled your bellies at the Wagamama. Nice moves.

I also went on the Jack the Ripper tour and thought it was cool as hell. A couple Guinesses in the Ten Bells did nothing to calm the thoughts that all of Europe wants to kill me like in the movie Hostel. I now watch every Jack the Ripper documentary that exists.

George told me to tell you to go to a Russian Bathhouse to get yourself ready for Germany. I have no idea what he's talking about.

The though of the Lon wondering around Germany by himself makes me pee just a little I laugh so hard.

The thought of Mainous joining the crew makes me feel sorry for Amber.

Someone told me that the other night when I was grilling out at 4am that I yelled at a hotdog that was hiding in the back part of the dark grill. I called it Anne Frank.

Happy Trails.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great you all are having a blast in England/London. Hope you guys get more sleep than you have been. :-)

6:20 PM  
Blogger 15 Minuets said...

Prince Albert? I guess I'm a little rusty on my Brit history, cuz I've never heard of the guy.

Glad to know you've got clean underwear, Kevin.

Rest up...I look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you guys are experts on Shakes, why do they call him "the bard" ?

Did those English guys in the pub bust out any drunken chants?

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home